- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Sports Injury Treatment From Our Columbus & Bibb City Chiropractor
Located on Kayne Boulevard in Columbus, GA, the Health First Family Chiropractic care center is honored to be a state-of-the-art facility serving the people of Bibby City, Columbus, and surrounding Muscogee County communities. Our Bibb City chiropractor, Dr. David Johnson, loves working with people of all health backgrounds. Athletes are one patient population he finds particularly rewarding to help.
If you're an athlete--young or old, amateur or professional--keep reading to learn how chiropractic care can help you recover from a sports injury.
Common Sports Injuries We Treat
Anyone who engages in physical activity is at some risk for sustaining a sports injury. Whether due to over-training, under-training, poor body mechanics, improper breathing and motor control techniques, slips and falls, ill-fitting shoes, improper equipment, or inadequate nutrition and hydration, a sports-related incident can sideline even the best of us.
Here are some of the most common injuries we see at our facility:
- Back Pain: discomfort, tenderness, and stiffness can manifest anywhere along the spine, including the neck, upper back, and mid to lower back (caused by anything from a muscle strain to disc herniation to joint subluxation)
- Whiplash: injury to the tissue within the cervical and shoulder region due to rapid flexion and extension of the neck
- Rotator cuff strain: a tear of varying severity at one or several of the many small stabilizing muscles around your shoulder girdle
- Epicondylitis: inflammation of the muscles and tissues in the elbow (golfer's elbow is pain on the inside of the elbow, and tennis elbow is pain on the outside of the elbow)
- Joint subluxation: misalignments in the spinal anatomy, due to tension, stress, etc.
- Tendonitis: inflammation of a tendon (which connects muscle to bone); commonly occurs in the Achilles tendon, patellar tendon, hamstring tendon, and biceps tendon
- Plantar fasciitis: irritation of the thick band of connective tissue on the underside of the foot
How Chiropractic Care Can Help Heal Your Sports Injury
If left untreated, sports injuries can lead to short-term and long-term consequences. Scar tissue can develop, which can limit mobility and prolong pain. Muscles and joints can be left weaker and unstable. Joint proprioception, neuromotor activation, and coordination can also become disrupted. Plus, if the underlying factors that caused or contributed to the pain in the first place--especially poor body mechanics and sports-specific techniques--then a person is only increasing their risk for recurring or chronic issues.
Chiropractic care can address all these problems through a variety of techniques which require no medication or invasive procedures. Our chiropractor will work with your body to identify and address any underlying causes of dysfunction. He can do this in addition to resolving your symptoms and getting you off the sidelines as soon as possible, so you can get back to the game or activity you love.